Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Road Trip - LA & Vegas

This year, a tech conference in Vegas coincided with dropping off my oldest son at college in the LA area, so I decided to kill two birds with one stone and drive to both.  Talk about road trip! I had a couple of things to look forward to, which made the long hours in the car worth it.  First: another opportunity for long chats with my son without the possibility of him escaping :) I know I joke about slowing down just long enough to kick him to the curb, but I will miss him and I know every semester brings him closer to a time when he probably won't be returning.  The emotions I felt driving away ran the gamut from happy to proud to sad to.... not quite sure yet. 

Second: My pal A had arranged for me to get a massage from a friend that is a massage therapist the night I got into LA.  Oh. My. God.  What a gift after a long drive! Total bliss and made the drive into Vegas the next day so much easier!

Third: Wingwomen!! Besides my techie-tech friends and acquaintances, two of my wingwomen were flying into Vegas to hang with me during the evening events.  Because there was a high (OK, *virtual* 100% probability) that I would be running into an ex and his girlfriend, I was immensely grateful for this show of support.  In the end, yes I did survive the run-in and was actually better off for it.

I think the main personal take-away from last week is not to shy away from uncomfortable situations and just believe that I'm strong enough to handle with dignity and grace, even if others aren't.

No comments:

Post a Comment