Monday, May 31, 2010

How a Broken Dryer Provides a Lesson

One piece of advice that I'll offer up to those facing a property settlement: don't leave major appliances on the table. Especially if you end up with primary custody of kids. I left behind a very nice Duet front loader (with pedestals) set when I got divorced. I didn't want to argue over anything and hey, the rental house came with a usable set anyhow. Fast forward a year and a half later and I was cursing that decision as the dryer crapped out for the third and final time. Which left me at the laundromat. Which is only fun in sitcoms.

I knew my original set was gathering dust in a storage unit so I swallowed my pride and asked to borrow them. Big Mistake. I was expecting graciousness from someone who hadn't shown me any in years. I was giving him another chance to step up when he's failed again and again. What was I thinking?

I don't think it's in my nature to expect the worst in people but I do need to do a better job at protecting myself when people take advantage of that. What I should have done in the begining is what I did in the end: push those shoulders back, grab the checkbook and take care of my business by myself. I need to remember (and celebrate) that I've been doing a damn good job of that for the last two years.

No comments:

Post a Comment