Sunday, January 24, 2010

I have a voice, but… I struggled with something for a long time as I toyed with the idea of a blog. Do I have anything to say that’s of any value or interesting to anyone else? I mean, look at me: divorced mother of three bad-ass teenagers, desperately clinging to my late 30’s. I’m not a celebrity, I’m not someone you see on the street and think, “Wow, now there’s a lady that looks like she’s got it all together”. I don’t even have any good crock-pot recipes. I’m so damn average that I have people constantly comment on the fact that I resemble someone else they know.

Then one day, when I was chatting with a friend, it hit me. I *am* just like thousands of other normal women out there, re-starting a life and thinking I’m the only one struggling with the big things as well as the little things. I’m your girlfriend, your sister, your daughter… maybe even YOU. And maybe by giving a voice to that woman, to her experiences, her fears, her triumphs we can share some laughter (probably some tears) and feel less alone.

When I started my journey a few years ago as “Suddenly Single” my world was a very small place. I live in a small Central Valley town and work only ten miles away. My friends were co-workers and the parents of my children’s friends. I had been married for fifteen years and my entire identity was wrapped around being a wife, a mother, an employee. I was scared, but also intoxicated with the prospect of freedom; Freedom to be who I wanted to be and the freedom to find people who would *like* me, uncensored.

And so, this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment